About Mount Hope Assembly of God
Mount Hope Assembly of God has been serving the community of Wickenburg for over 100 years. We desire to see people Revived, Renewed, Restored, Rebuild, so they may Rejoice!
In 1916 Evangelist Jonah Shelton came to Wickenburg and near the banks of the Hassayampa River, on what is now Valentine Street, opened the First Pentecostal Tabernacle church in a storefront building. Valentine Street, at that time, was the main street in Wickenburg. But sometime in the late teens or early '20s, the Hassayampa flooded and took out the whole street. Main Street moved up the hill to what is now Wickenburg Way. The church then purchased three town lots at 188 S Tegner and pitched a tent. The church began to build the first phase of a just a meeting hall, then a caretaker's one-room house next door, and then a parsonage was built next to the church. In 1926 the First Pentecostal Tabernacle chose to become affiliated with the Assemblies of God as a Cooperative Fellowship but insisted on being an independent assembly.
On May 5, 2002, Wickenburg Assembly of God officially changed its name to Mount Hope Assembly of God, regained our sovereignty from the District, was set in order with a new constitution and bylaws, and Pastor Duane Middleton was installed as Lead Pastor after over 10 years as an Interim.